Bird Dog & Retriever News

April / May 2003 issue Page 45

 nd confusing when the two seasons were combined," he said.
Changes under the proposal would include:
Having the youth season begin the first Saturday in October rather than the second Saturday.
Having the season open for two-consecutive days rather than three.
Have the possession limit changed from nine rooster pheasants to six.
Have the shooting hours be noon to sunset instead of sunrise to sunset.
The season would be open Oct. 4-5, statewide.
To comment, people can write Game, Fish and Parks, 523 E. Capitol, Pierre, S.D. 57501. E-mail comments can be sent to Comments must include full name and address.
Spring waterfowl hunters are reminded that there is more than one way to obtain South Dakota's spring light goose hunting licenses.
"Hunters do not apply for South Dakota's spring light goose licenses," said Communications Manager Chuck Schlueter. "The spring light goose application has been discontinued, and one now simply purchases a license by visiting one of South Dakota's license agents close to the area where they will be hunting. An agent listing is provided on the Game, Fish and Parks website at
Another method to get licensed for spring light goose hunting is to purchase the necessary license online at Look under "Popular Shortcuts" for the link entitled "Buy General Hunting and Fishing Licenses Online."
South Dakota residents will need to buy an annual small game, 1-day small game, youth small game, combination, or junior combination license and the migratory bird certification to hunt light geese. Residents who are at least 12 years old may buy licenses and hunt light geese. Hunters ages 12 through 15 will need a Hunt SAFE Card and need to be accompanied by a responsible adult/guardian who is at least age 18.
Nonresident light goose hunters need a South Dakota spring light goose license, which is valid for the entire Spring Light Goose Conservation order (Feb. 1 through May 15). The adult license costs $45. Youth licenses (ages 12-15) cost $25. The state Migratory Bird Certificate is part of the regular nonresident license and is not needed. The federal waterfowl stamp is also not required for this conservation order.
Light goose regulations and migration information can be found via the GFP website at
Hunting, fishing licenses expire March 31
2003-04 licenses on sale now
Current Wisconsin hunting and fishing licenses, including Conservation Patron and Sports licenses, expire March 31. Licenses valid for the new license year starting April 1 are available for purchase now over the Internet, by phone or at any license sales location.
Licenses may be purchased in any of three ways:
Internet sales: Customers can access on-line license sales through the Licenses, Permits & Registrations pages of the DNR Web site or on the state's portal at <> by clicking the licenses button. While some types of licenses, such as fishing, small game and turkey can be printed at home for immediate use, deer hunting licenses and others that include a backtag, carcass tag or harvest report are not printable and will be mailed to the customer within seven days. Only Visa or Master Card are accepted for payment, and there is a $3 convenience fee for this service.
Telephone sales: Customers can purchase licenses using a Visa or Master Card by dialing, toll free, 1-877-945-4236. There is also a $3 convenience fee charged for this service. Counter sales: Hunting and fishing licenses are available from nearly 1,500 license sales locations throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota.
Licenses have a new look, new feel customers will notice that their licenses are now printed on a new fluorescent yellow paper that does not have an adhesive backing. Because of this change, customers will now use a string or similar fastener to attach carcass tags to their harvest using a pre-punched horseshoe shaped notch found on each license square.
New application procedures have also been developed to apply for permits in the following programs: Hunter's choice/bonus antlerless deer, turkey, sharp-tailed grouse, bear, goose, bobcat, fisher and tter. Applicants will no longer have to purchase stickers to apply to application forms. Instead, applicants will pay the $3 application fee at any license sales location, online, or by phone and then submit their application using one of the following options:
Complete/submit applications online through the DNR Web site. Applicants will get a printable confirmation that DNR received your application; or Complete the paper application and submit by mail.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: Customer Service and Licensing ­ (608) 266-2621


That's it for state news

Go to the previous page

 Go to the next page

Go to the table of contents page

Go to the back issues page


 Go to our home page

Subscribe to BD&RN 

Advertising Rates 

 Advertise with us

 Send us a message



 American Water Spaniels




 Boxes & Trailers




Chesapeake Bay Retrievers 



Cocker Spaniels 

Curly Coat Retrievers 


Dog Food


 English Setters

English Springer Spaniels 

 French Brittanys

 Flat Coat Retrievers

 German Shorthaired Pointers

 German Wirehaired Pointers

Golden Retrievers

 Gordon Setters

Guns & Gunsmithing 

 Gun Shows

 Hunts & Training Areas

 Irish/Red Setters

 Irish Water Spaniels

Labrador Retrievers 

 Large Munsterlanders 

Llewellin Setters 


 Perdiguero De Burgos


Pointing Labs



 Rare Breeds

Real Estate







WP Griffons

Go to Canine

 Go to

Go to 

 Cool Places on the web

 Go to Hunter

Power State Pages

 Power Breed Pages

 Power Back Issue Pages

 Power Board Pages

 Power Misc Pages

Copyrights Bird Dog & Retriever News May 2003
Do not reproduce or retransmit in any form, and we surf the web, we'll find you.
Maintained by Dennis Guldan e-mail
Bird Dog & Retriever News, 563 17th Ave NW, New Brighton, MN 55112,
Phone/Fax 651-636-8045 Adv deadline 1st of the month prior to the issue.